Monday, June 13, 2005

My wish to be able to live in complete anonymity one day, may never be fulfilled. Especially if i'm staying put ( i need to get out of here!) in Singapore. Sure, it's safe and clean and politically correct (not that i'd knw) and yadayadayada. Singapore's great...but not when everybody knows each other. Where's the fun in that? At this rate, i would have to make "new" friends with everyone twice.

Why do i say that my wish may never be fulfilled? *sigh* Most Singaporeans would've probably realized by now that in one way or another, we are connected to that stranger sitting beside us through a mutual friend or two mutual friends or that GIRL is really your Mom's yoga instructor's son's basketball's coach's daughter. Oh and by the way, they're goin' out together. No, not the son and the daughter....The yoga instructor and the basketball coach! Kinda like a real-life Friendster. So if you wanna be friends with that cute guy in the train, make sure you're "Closely Connected".

I've had new findings recently, on how i am or others are strangely/ridiculously/"WHAT??"-ly/ (fill in the blank) -ly connected to one another.

The guys in my band has another band and when they showed me their pics, one of the guys looked familiar. Connection: That guy lives 2 doors away from me. 'Tis a small world after all.

This is my 5th year living in my current home. When we first moved in, my sister already knew this girl who lived a floor above us.They were from the same Secondary school.

A & B were classmates with my good friend Hid in JC. And now, the same two people are classmates with my best friend Shahida in Poly. 'Tis a small world after all.

After having gone through so much with Suhaila and being her classmate for 2 years, we only found out this year that our Great-grandmothers were SISTERS. That makes my grandma and her grandpa, cousins. Her dad and my Mom, second cousins. And she and i, third(?) cousins. We're of Chinese descendants too...'Tis a small world after all.

However, i don't think it'll be that bad just yet. Coz even though i've been living here for close to 5 years, i don't know my neighbours. 'Cept the family that lives right beside us. Other than that...lemme elaborate thru a conversation my sis n i had at 4am this morning.

------------------------------------------------------------------


ME: Can u believe it? We've been living here for 5 years but we still don't know our neighbours' name. Not even our next door neighbour. They're simply "Apek" and "Nyonya". Try to imagine..."Hi, this is my neighbour, Apek and this is his wife, Nyonya."

(and then we started givin nicknames to identify our neighbours....at 4am)

Sis: Ya, and i've never seen that "PakCik MRT" (he works with SMRT) punya anak.

Me: Oh ya, he's the one that lives on the 1st floor right?

Sis: No lah, tu rumah "MakCik Post Office" (we've seen her uniform).

Me: Hah? Eh, i'm talking about the house beside rumah "Kakak Hospital" (seen her uniform too) tau. Yang tinggal bawah rumah "MakCik Ketupat-Lampu LapLip" (Hari Raya's over but the decor is still up).

Sis: Ya correct. The other side is that "Abang Motor" 's house. They just moved in.

Me: OH! That means that "Auntie PigTail" (she ties her hair in a pigtail) and "UncleSpectacles" got new neighbour liao....


---------------The End---------------
My neighbourhood (my block in particular) is a very quiet one. The neighbours don't talk to each other 'cept for the occasional "Hi", if they feel like it. I think it's coz the units are not the sort that are neatly arranged beside each other along one long corridor. At my block (divided into 2 sections), each floor onli has 4 units, distantly placed in it's own secluded corner and no windows in the corridor u can peek into (thank God). The building is of an odd "C" shape and in the middle of the "C" there is a "hill/garden" with tall coconut trees and surrounded by everybody else's plants. A lot of my neighbours have a passion for gardening you see..

Moral of the story: We may not live in complete anonymity, but we can pretend we do.

Life is sick. I feel sick. i wanna puke.............

later.


the glamourchine laughed at 1:49 PM
Comments: Post a Comment






















ME




On Repeat




...




LINKS




PEOPLE





ARCHIVES




PIC




TAGBOARD




CREDIT